#6 -- Rock 'n Roll Star

Album: Definitely Maybe

The ground shook with the first chord. Opening track on the best selling debut album in history (at the time). It couldn’t epitomize the next arrogant, drunken decade of Oasis rock any better. Fitting that the opening track introduces us to Liam’s trademark pronunciation of the word “shine”.

Some interesting statistics I compiled yesterday -- average song ranking on my countdown by album:
Definitely Maybe: 33.5
What's The Story: 33.8
The Masterplan: 51.7
Be Here Now: 52.1
Heathen Chemistry: 56.5
Standing on the Shoulders: 66.7

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never forget the first time I heard this. January '95, I was in Firenze. I had heard "supersonic" before I left the States, and when I got to italy, this girl I was into told me she loved this song called "live forever." So I bought Definitely Maybe. When the band roars in after Noel's opening, it was like a train hit me. I knew it immediately. My new favorite band.

16 June, 2005 10:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i second the comment about but i was younger in the states and the first album of theirs i bought was wtsmg i knew immedieatly this was my fav band. a sound that i thought a band should always sound like was coming over the speakers. i went out and got dm the very next day.

16 June, 2005 10:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is how the great rock n roll records open. The Stones' "Rocks Off" on Exile on Main St. The Pistols' "Holidays in the Sun" for Never Mind The Bollocks. The Stone Roses' "I Wanna Be Adored." It doesn't have to be the signature tune -- just the one that lets you know you're in for a ride.

16 June, 2005 10:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home